Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News & Media > Alumnae Awards > 2022 Alumnae Award Recipients > Lucy Cormack (2009)

Lucy Cormack (2009)

2022 Young Alumnae Award for Professional Achievement
Lucy Cormack (2009)
Lucy Cormack (2009)

Lucy Cormack (2009) is an award-winning Australian journalist with experience across all media platforms. She has twice won an award at the Kennedy Awards for Excellence in Journalism. In 2018 she took home a coveted Spirax trophy as the ‘Young Journalist of the Year’, and in 2021, she won the trophy for ‘Outstanding Court and Legal Affairs Reporting’.

Lucy has worked at the Sydney Morning Herald (SHM) for over nine years. Currently, she is the State political reporter. Her previous roles at SMH were crime reporter, consumer affairs reporter and environment reporter. She has covered stories on crime, courts, world news, politics, climate and extreme weather (bushfires) and breaking news. She is also a regular contributor to BBC Radio, ABC Radio and the Macquarie Radio Network on behalf of the SMH.

In 2009 at MLC School, Lucy was the SRC Captain. In the HSC that year she achieved the top band in English (Advanced), Music 2 and Music Extension, and at the 2009 Speech Night she was recognised for All-Round Academic Excellence. In 2008, Lucy was awarded AmusA with Distinction - Cello, and after completing school, Lucy was awarded a BComms (Journalism) from the University of Technology.

In early 2018 Lucy was one of the generous Old Girls who gave of their time and skills to present at the MLC School Careers Conversation. Then in 2019 she mentored Mikaela Nguyen (2021) (who was to become our 2021 School Captain) during Mikaela’s work experience at the SMH. Mikaela said of her time at the SMH ‘Meeting Lucy was like visiting a family member; we instantly had a connection over our common experiences at MLC School. Lucy is a talented and skilled crime writer for The Sydney Morning Herald. It was lovely to spend time with an old student of the School and it was inspiring to see first-hand the opportunities that an MLC School education can provide.’

Lucy’s professional achievements and her ongoing association with MLC School is an inspiration to our current students, former students and the wider MLC School community. She is generous, daring and a leader amongst her peers.

A message from Lucy

I can hardly believe it’s been more than a decade since I finished at MLC School.

Yet I still find myself drawing on the rich academic and musical education it gave me. I will be forever grateful to my loving parents for extending me the opportunity.

Being a student at MLC School was so much more than classes within four walls. In fact classes were so rarely contained within four walls (putting me in good stead for a career in shoe leather journalism).

MLC School gave me a drive and passion for learning, and a fierce ambition. As young girls it taught us to challenge boundaries to become proud confident women.

I love telling people I am an MLC School Old Girl and I know I am in esteemed company tonight. Congratulations to all my fellow alumnae.

I’m so honoured to receive this award. Thank you to the School community.

Share your news

This website is powered by
ToucanTech