Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News & Media > Alumnae Awards > 2022 Alumnae Award Recipients > Kate Cornford (2001)

Kate Cornford (2001)

2022 Young Alumnae Award for Professional Achievement and International Achievement
Kate Cornford (2001)
Kate Cornford (2001)

Kate Cornford (2001) has held an impressive range of appointments in wide-ranging, high profile roles worldwide, including Counsellor to the Executive Director of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), a senior policy adviser at the Office of the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (No.10 Downing Street), and at various UK Government Departments.

In her final year at MLC School, Kate was the School Vice-Captain. She was awarded a Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award; was a member of the Excelsior Committee; was part of the Choir and the Orchestra; and was a member of the Senior Netball and Softball teams. At the 2001 Speech Night, Kate won the Prize for PDHPE (aeq) and the OGU Prize.

At the OECD Kate co-leads on mental health policy and performance across OECD countries and co-manages the OECD Centre for Opportunity and Equality (COPE). Kate runs international summits and conferences on behalf of the OECD, as well as advising on communications and messaging.

In her previous role, Kate served as a senior policy adviser at No.10 Downing Street where she led on all aspects of health and social care for Prime Minister Theresa May, and worked as Private Secretary to the Health Secretary and more widely in the UK Department of Health and Social Care.

Kate is an admitted solicitor, holding an LLB (Hons 1), LLM, BSc from Australia; a Master’s degree from New York University; and is currently undertaking part-time studies in history and international relations.

Prior to her policy career, Kate worked as a legal researcher for members of the judiciary at the Court of Appeal, NSW Supreme Court; government including the NSW Crown Solicitor’s Office and Australian Human Rights Commission; as well as academia and NGOs in Australia, North America, Europe and Africa advising on criminal, constitutional, administrative and international law matters.

Kate’s many and varied achievements in the policy, legal and academic spheres, and the considerable effort she puts into all her roles, are driven by a passion to see the development and implementation of policies that are scientifically rigorous and lead to improved outcomes. She has established a global reputation in international relations and her many achievements are testament to her unending enthusiasm and energy.

A message from Kate

I thank MLC School for this recognition – grateful for being in the same category as other Award recipients.

I am appreciative for those who guided me at MLC School – some of whom continue to inspire future leaders today at MLC School, as well as those who have moved on.

I am grateful for those whose footsteps I follow – particularly Dr Elizabeth New who demonstrates how intellect, leadership and generosity can be combined.

And I encourage the School to continue to inspire fearless women who are different and think differently, and to support this diversity in all its forms; to inspire leadership of both courage and compassion; and to foster honesty, integrity and appreciation of the privilege that comes with attending MLC School.

Share your news

This website is powered by
ToucanTech