Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News & Media > Alumnae Awards > 2024 Alumnae Award Recipients > Bronwyn Brown OAM (Henry, 1964)

Bronwyn Brown OAM (Henry, 1964)

2024 Alumnae Award for Cultural Contribution
Photo courtesy Alan Lee, Radford College, Canberra
Photo courtesy Alan Lee, Radford College, Canberra

Bronwyn commenced piano lessons at the age of five, and by the time she was 12 she successfully passed AMEB Grade 6. Enrolling into MLC School in 1st Form (Year 7), Bronwyn opted to change instruments, took up violin lessons and joined the MLC School String Ensemble. She says “I did not enjoy the violin but battled through for the five years of high school and achieved AMEB Grade 4.”

Much more enjoyable, she says, was to “play the piano for School assemblies, both the music while the girls came in and also the hymns; as well as the opportunity to accompany the Senior Choir for several years”. The Excelsior of 1964, reporting on the Madrigal Singers, said “Bronwyn Henry was the accompanist for this and a number of other item throughout the evening. Grateful thanks are extended to Bronwyn for her assistance in this way.” Bronwyn says her most ‘famous’ accompanist appearance for the School “and the one which my colleagues remind me about at our frequent reunions, was being asked to play the grand Town Hall organ at my last Speech Night in 1964”.

After completing the Leaving Certificate in 1964, when she was also a Senior Prefect, Bronwyn went on to complete a Teachers’ Certificate at the Sydney Teachers’ College in 1968, and then a BSc at the University of Sydney in 1971. From there she commenced a distinguished teaching career in Mathematics and Music.

Bronwyn excelled in both fields; she was the Head of Mathematics and Computing, and an Accompanist* at Roseville College, Sydney; the Head of Mathematics and an Accompanist at St Aidan’s Anglican Girls’ College, Brisbane; and at Canberra Girls Grammar School she was the Organ Teacher.

At Radford College, Canberra, where she has been a long serving staff member, Bronwyn was the Head of Keyboards for seven years and Admin Assistant for Music and Drama for twelve years. She is still the regular accompanist for two choirs every week and the regular pianist for several Chapel services held each fortnight.

Bronwyn is also an Accompanist at several other Canberra schools, for their class music recitals and special services. She accompanies singers for Art Song concerts and is an accompanist for the annual String Festival and the National Singing Eisteddfod.

Outside of schools, Bronwyn also plays the organ for services at several Canberra churches. This involves not only accompanying the choir but also the special kind of accompaniment that is needed when leading congregational singing.

In an article in the Radford College publication ‘Bulletin’ (2024, T1, W1), Bronwyn was asked what she loved most about music. She replied “Music is always with me. Playing it has given me a life of interest and variety. It has the ability to calm, arouse, move and challenge. It has no borders.”

On her recognition in the Australia Day 2024 Honours with a Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM) “For service to the community through music.”, the MLC School community extended its congratulations to Bronwyn Brown (Henry, 1964). Her achievements showcase the lasting impact of our students’ contributions to the wider community.

Share your news

This website is powered by
ToucanTech